Sunday, July 25, 2010

Why Some Patterns are Worth $125.00

Okay, this pattern on the left is not worth $125.00 but it is listed in my shop for $35.00. How can this possibly be? It's original price was twenty cents!

It's called supply and demand. If you ask it, they will pay. And the supply of vintage apron patterns is very small. And the demand is very high. This pattern is in very nice condition with its original embroidery transfer intact. I find this one particularly desirable because of the wide Joan Crawford shoulders. The somber looks on the faces of the models is telling. This pattern is from about 1946. What happened in 1946? Women had to leave their fabulous exciting lives (okay, so being a riveter probably wasn't fabulous, but I bet it was exciting) and go back home because the GIs were back and needed their jobs. For moms, I think this was a great thing. I grew up in the fifites with all those stay-at-home moms and it was heavenly. But lots of women had no families to go back home to. But they still lost their jobs.

The demand for Vogue couturier patterns is also high (and the supply is low). Those patterns cost a fortune even when they were new. Other hot items are 1950s and early sixties formal dresses, lingerie patterns and the famous mens' Nehru jacket pattern which I've sold twice at impressive prices even with no envelope.

You may find this odd or even distressing. But this is America where a plastic doll which sold for $3.00 in 1959 can now be auctioned off for $27,450 in mint condition. (I had that doll, by the way. The very first one with the black and white bathing suit and silky fine blond hair. And honestly, I wouldn't trade $27,450 for all the fun I had playing with her.)

No comments:

Post a Comment