Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Barbieland

So I had the very first Barbie. You know, the one with the black and white swimsuit whose hair I cut off so that I could put her in a wig? Don't feel bad about my loss of investment. (I just priced a brunette one for 975.00) I loved that doll to death. She wouldn't have been worth a whole lot even with hair. I was also minus ten years old when I got her. Just kidding. Truth be told, I was a little old for her and my mom asked me specifically if I really wanted a doll at my age! But my mom got into the spirit of the thing and made clothes for her, which my girls have shared out so that the grandchildren have something cool and vintage to play with.

So, Barbie. What's up with the fascination? I cannot tell you. In my case, I loved the glamorous clothes, the itsy bitsy accessories, the grownup aspect. I remember saving my allowance to buy outfits. (Again, if I only had those today. Sheesh.)

I just found a cache of doll clothes patterns and some really cool Barbie ones were among the set. Check out the 1980s Barbie outfits. Actually published in 1991, it shows that the 80s didn't die a sudden death. There's even a pattern for gloves! If the pattern weren't factory folded, I'd have to open up the tissue to see what those pieces look like.

The other pattern is not actually "Barbie" but rather 11 1/2 inch to 12 1/2 inch fashion doll. Like we don't know who they're talking about. I did have some of the ersatz Barbies back in the day and they were really pitiful. (And if I still had them they would probably be worth enough to take my sweetie on a cruise. This is becoming annoying.)

This other pattern I adore. It's a pattern for making Barbie furniture out of foamcore board. I'm crazy about the chaise lounge. And if I thought any of my granddaughters needed one, I might have kept it for myself. But it's probably not sturdy enough for a four-year-old. I even considered keeping it for myself. You hanker after some very strange things when you're a pattern seller, let me tell you.

So Barbie, I've loved you for more than fifty years. And I don't think I'll ever stop. And I hope someone will adore her enough to take these gorgeous patterns off my hands before I decide I love them too much to sell them.

No comments:

Post a Comment